Skip to main content

Unsung heroes and Thursday Rally

We have updated news about the church. Apparently over 200 people were seeking refuge there when the mob set it on fire. Many managed to flee but around 50 people, mostly women and children were killed. The pastor of the church, one of our very own AG pastor, is alive but injured. He couldn't be admitted to the Eldoret Hospital as it was full. The General Superintendent is finding a way to airlift him to Nairobi for treatment.

We have heard from others too, that many Luos are hiding Kikuyus in their home, keeping them safe from the mob - this is probably something you won't hear from the news station! These are the unsung heroes in our chaotic nation. Majority of the people in this nation are peaceful Kenyans, The four major towns that are affected are Kisumu, Eldoret, Kakamega and Rift Valley.

Yesterday, things were quite normal in our side of town. Tony ventured out in the morning and chcekced out a nearby supermarket which was opened and well stocked. He immediately went in to get more food supply - I was also running low in coffee - which is a major concern if you know me :-) Tony is making sure that he doesn't have to be housebound with me when I am caffein deprived! Smart man! Who knows what I will do....

We are very concerned about the rally that the opposition has planned for tomorrow. The goverment has banned it but the opposition is not listenning. Please pray that the Prince of Peace will show Himself strong in this nation. We know many people are praying.

Also please pray our friends who are coming from Canada to Nairobi. This morning we have a group arriving. The road from the airport to where we are is not a good routee right now as you have to drive either through the city centre or through a slum area. Over the next week, we have one arrival from South Africa , a studen I am mentoring and two other groups from Canada- these are proffessors arriving to teach here. Please pray for their safe arrival.

Our students who need to cross the Ugandan border (most of our Congolese students) are unable to return as the border are closed since the Kikuyus are fleeing to Uganda. One couple, Bethuel and Noella is in such situation but their kids are here with us on campus.

Our street children home is fine but running low in food. We rarely stock up on food because of lack of finance but we are now having to do so. Most of the shops in that area are closed and do not have supplies are no goods are being transported. I have asked the director to come to our house to get some money so she can buy more food here since our stalls are opened. SHe will try today to see if she can get over here. Prices have also increased dramatically.

In short, this situation cannot continue. Everyone is suffering. I may have to ask Tony to brave the streets again and withdraw more cash, most machines no longer has cash since banks have been closed over 10 days now.

Continue to pray for this nation. We know that beyond the election and the ethnic clashes, this is a spiritual warfare. God has used Kenya to bring the gospel to so many war torn nations in our region. Please join us in prayers to arrest this spirit of murder and hate and that the Prince of Peace will reign in the hearts of the people.

Shalom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To blog or not to blog is the question....

I was wondering if I should keep this blog when we relocate to Malaysia??? I know that our friends in Malaysia and elsewhere are interested about our lives in Kenya but Malaysia??? I am not sure... I am thinking about it... write me a comment if you think I should keep it up!! Some random pics.... This is Max longing for his daddy. He did this the entire time that Tony was in Malaysia.. poor baby! He loves Tony! Awwww......(the girls' favorite expression!) Kat took some pictures around campus....pretty eh? This huge pine tree is on our front yard. This is one of Vickie's teachers. The middle school was raising funds for some social projects and he challenged them if they raised a certain amount he would shaved off his beard and if they raised even more money, he would shave his hair as well! Brave man and they did raised the funds!! Too bad I didn't get the 'after' picture! Vickie is on the far left, as a stage hand during one of their drama production. She ...

The Secrets of a Pastor's Marriage

Recently I posted a picture of myself and a beautiful bouquet of flowers,,,,It was one of those special moments in our marriage. I had been feeling pressured with an unending to do list and preparing for a missions trip. I was sharing with Tony how stressed I was before leaving to have a quick dinner with Vickie. When I returned home, Tony suprised me with this beautiful bouquet. He just wanted to bless and encourage me.  Yes, he's sweet and thoughtful and let me just put it out there once and for all, HE IS ALL MINE :) I was surprised by the number of people who liked the post. I suppose many are "curious" what a pastor's marriage look like...is it perfect? Is it easier because both of us are pastors? I thought I share a few pictures and thoughts on the subject.   Firstly, our marriage is not perfect - it's just like yours - there are always up and downs, the good and the bad, the happy and the sad, the sweet and sour! In many ways, a ministers...

A clean bill of Health!

We have been busy with different appointments.....the girls got their vaccination, Tony and I had a general checkup - cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure and several other health issues checked. We are basically healthy. Tony needs to have a minor surgical procedure (on his back) which we still have to work on - finding the surgeon,etc. We also went to the dentist today and the girls and I have NO cavities!!!!! The dentist did some cleaning for us but Tony did have to have a filling done. All in all, the Phangs are in pretty good health - Praise the Lord!! We are also so grateful to our doctor and dentist for giving us their services so lovingly and generously- we are so bless! Another friend (we kinda met on this blog:-) got us rooms in a hotel in Penang, a holiday island- kind of! Woohoo!!!! We will get to have a vacation after our ministry time in Ipoh - we are so looking forward to that. Last evening, we took Tony's mom and sister out for a meal and visited with the...